Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hairdressers and Barbers May Be At Increased Cancer Risk

I read the supplemental reading on www.cancer.org. The article talked about barbers and hairdressers having an increased risk of cancer. The chemicals found in some of the hair dyes and other chemicals that are used on hair have been known to cause tumors in laboratory mice. In humans it can cause an increase in the frequency of bladder cancer.

I found the article very interesting. I have not thought about a hairdresser or barbers continuous exposure to hair dye and chemicals. After reading the article I could not help but wonder what type of increased risk do manicurists have in regard to cancer. Am I exposing myself to harmful chemicals every time I have a manicure or put on acrylic nails? Is it dangerous to be exposed to the fumes in a nail salon?

I would love to see a study that proves or disproves whether manicurists have an increased risk of cancer.

1 comment:

Erica said...

That is scary, I dye my hair very often and now am scared if I am at risk for bladder cancer. This is good to know and yet another thing to put on my list to change. Interesting point.

Thanks
Erica