Saturday, March 15, 2008

Nutrition at the Thompson House

When I was a child mymother always fixed a lot of vegetables and lean meats. She rarely used oil to cook and she never made fried food. We had the same container of salt for ten years and it was still half full. The salt was only for guests. Nothing was off limits, but she only bought healthy food and we really could not afford to go out to eat.

As an adult, I am an avid Food Network watcher. I have not met a vegetable that I do not like if not love. Although I found that I really do enjoy fried food, I eat them in moderation. I also eat salt in my recipes, and salt the pasta water(Rachael Ray says it is the only way to flavor the pasta.).

Overall my perception of my childhood nutrition is wonderful. I can eat at any resteraunt and find several things I will enjoy. I never have to be emberassed when I go to other peoples homes because I do not eat the type of side dishes they prepared.

My mom fixed dinner every night and that is what we ate. I was never forced to clean my plate, but I did have to try a bite of everything.

I believe that this has helped me to maintain a helthy body weight into my adult life. I have had a few ups and downs, but I always know how to get back to the healthy weight. I just call Mom and ask her what is for dinner!

1 comment:

Liz said...

I also had great nutrition as a child. My parents both cooked most every night and whatever they cooked I ate. We rarely went out for dinner because it was too expensive. My nutritional needs went downhill once I got my license due to the fact that I could drive to get fast food. However, I am working on improving my nutrition and getting healthier. Kudos to you for keeping up the good nutrition habits.