Saturday, March 8, 2008

Women and Menopause

I chose to interview my mom about her experience with taking hormone replacement therapy after entering menopause. She did not have an easy journey. My mom began going through menopause at an early age. In fact when she asked her doctor if she might be beginning menopause, he told her she was far to young. After a few more years of dealing with hot flashes ans sever mood swings she went back to our family practice doctor. The doctor put her on hormones and dismissed her by saying "these should work it is the same thing my wife takes" and she was sent on her way. After two weeks she could not stand the way she felt. She told me that "I could not even stand being around myself". Two years later I introduced my mom to my OB/GYN. My doctor was the first person who took my mother's concerns seriously and help her to find the right hormone for her. After three years of taking hormones the doctor was able to ween her off of the prescription and she has been doing well with only mild hot flashes that are few and far between. What I have taken from her experience, is that it important to find a doctor who will listen to your concerns and take them seriously. Have a female doctor doesn't hurt either!

2 comments:

claudia reyes said...

Hi Tessa,

You put out there a very important point. Having a doctor that has alot of experience in the field is crucial. Also, having a female doctor that knows best about womens' health issues is beneficial for the female patient. I feel that they would know best when it comes to treating a female patient with a certain concern. For example, having a doctor that has been through menopause and knows the symptoms. Its helful to always have a female doctor because you would be able to build a close relationship with her. And I feel that you would be more comfortable about asking questions on any issue.

Liz said...

That is truly sad that your mother was dismissed for years. Unfortunately, this is not uncommon-many doctors feel that women are overreacting or that their hormones are out of whack. Kudos to you for helping your mom find an OB/GYN that would actually listen to your mom's concerns. If society would stop treating menopause like a dirty little secret then perhaps women like your mother would not have to go through the drama of being blown off.